Sunday, March 2, 2014

Spinning for love.


I closed the café around noon and then me and daisy headed back to the house. After showering the smell of coffee off myself, I realized I still had time to make the spinning class that was scheduled for the afternoon at the gym I had signed up with upon moving here.

I slipped into a pair of my Victoria’s Secret yoga shorts and a peach colored tank top. Despite the cold morning, the rain had broken and now it was more humid than ever outside. Throwing on a pair of flip flops I grabbed my black Nikes and my gym bag, making my way to the car. I climbed into my Nissan Xterra and made my way towards the gym. The one thing I love about it here in Milford was how close everything seemed to be. I could drive five minutes in any direction from my house and find a Dunkin Donuts each way, about ten gas stations and the school I would be teaching at in the fall was only two minutes away by car. Now I know that many people might hate being this close and city like, but after growing up in a small, not on the map town in Massachusetts with the only civilization and stores about a half an hour from home, this was like a breath of fresh air. And to top it all off I finally lived somewhere that had tons of pizza places to try instead of the one that was in town growing up, that didn’t use enough cheese and had cardboard tasting crust. (which would mean more spinning classes so I was heading in the right direction!)

I parked my car just in time and walked into the spinning class as the music was starting up. Surprisingly enough the class was completely packed for a Saturday afternoon! I was able to find a bike in the back corner next to two girls who looked about my age. Eager to begin I dumped my stuff into a locker at the back of the room and made my way to the bike. After about fifteen minutes I felt like my legs were going to fall off. Literally. I needed a serious distraction to keep me from giving up and getting off that bike to go home and eat a pizza. I tried to make a mental list of chores and errands I could get done the following day, and make a grocery list, but my mind quickly diverted itself to Andrew.

Now I’m not the kind of girl to feel like I need to make myself look better or different for a guy, but soon enough I found myself peddling my little heart out. It was silly to think I was doing it for him, a guy I didn’t even know, but he just looked so damn good today, and if I was going to be seeing him around like I had planned and hoped for, then hell, I was going to look mighty good too!

During the last fifteen minutes, the cool down period from heaven, I overheard the girl two bikes down from me talking about the school I was going to be starting at.

“Sorry, I don’t mean to eavesdrop but did you say you work at Meadow Hills Elementary School?” I asked looking over in her direction. This was the first time I had gotten a straight on look at the girl, and I suddenly felt self-conscious in her presence. It was like I was in a spinning class with a Victoria’s Secret model, even though she was covered in sweat. She had blonde hair that was up in a messy bun and high cheek bones to die for.

“I do work there, well I’m going to! I start in the fall as one of the new kindergarten teachers,” she exclaimed excitedly, “do you work there?”

I laughed a little and smile “I’m Jessica Dooley, the other new kindergarten teacher!”

“No way! They told me there was another hire, but I didn’t know when I would be able to meet here, I was expecting on having to wait until the orientation in a few weeks! I can’t believe this! What a small world!” She said as the music ended and we hopped off the bikes. “I’m Sky Bivona” she said walking over and shaking my hand, “and this is Lauren, my roommate,” she added motioning to her friend. I shook both of their hands and the three of us walked over to the lockers making small talk.

When we started making our way out to our cars, I suddenly got a bit of courage and a need for a friend. “So, I know we just met and all but I was planning on staying in tonight with some wine and my TV,” I said laughing, “if you guys aren’t busy why don’t you come by?” Usually I am not very forward and shy when making friends, but I really was desperate for some girl time and in need of friends in this town. We exchanged numbers and agreed to meet up at my place at seven. I texted them the address and then pulled out, making my way to the liquor store.

No comments:

Post a Comment